Where can I go to get help?
"If you contact CASA House they won't just automatically call the police or parents" Katherine, aged 14
If you or someone you know is having problems, there are lots of people who will be willing to help you out. The best place to start is with an adult you or your friend know and can trust. Or you can call the police. Talk to your friend about it if you think you need to call someone - it's important that they make the decisions and know what's going on.
If there isn't anyone you feel you can trust, don't worry.... there's a whole lot of services out there for people who have been sexually assaulted.
Here are a few places to call for help »»
(Good news....their phone numbers are free or cost the same as a local call, and they won't show up on your phone bill)
- CASAs (Centres Against Sexual Assault)
- Counselling, support and information for victims of sexual assault.
- Phone » 1800 806 292 (24 hours, 7 days)
- Web » www.casa.org.au
- Gatehouse Centre
- For people up to 17 years old who are experiencing violence or abuse from family or carers.
- Phone » 9345 6391 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) or 9345 5522 (all other hours)
- Web » www.rch.org.au/gatehouse/
- Women's Information & Referral Exchange (WIRE)
- If you really want to speak to someone female, WIRE can give you support, information and referrals to other services.
- Phone » 1300 134 130 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)
- Web » www.wire.org.au
- Men's Referral Service
- If you really want to speak to someone male, this is an anonymous and confidential service run by guys.
- Phone » 1800 065 973 (freecall Victoria) 9428 2899 (Mon-Fri 12pm-9pm)
- Web » www.mrs.org.au
- Kids Helpline
- A free telephone counselling service for people aged between 5 and 18 years old.
- Phone » 1800 551 800 (24 hours)
- Web » www.kidshelp.com.au
Other websites for young people »»
When love hurts » a guide to love, respect and abuse in relationships
About date rape » information about date rape and what to do
Bursting the Bubble » what's happening in your family?
Somazone » health, sex, mind, drugs... all your questions answered
Frontyard » your one-stop shop for free services
Gay and Lesbian Switchboard for same-sex attracted and undecided young people