Our position on sexual assault
CASA House recognises that sexual assault:
- is a violation of human rights and is a crime against the individual and society
- the prevention and elimination of sexual assault is the responsibility of the whole community including governments.
- is an act of violence against the victim-survivor regardless of whether or not physical violence was used
- is primarily driven by gender inequality and is reinforced or exacerbated by social inequality
- can have far reaching emotional, social, medical, political and legal consequences for individuals, communities and society
- perpetuates gender inequality
- is preventable.